In 2016, when Master Craftsman Bob Vokey introduced SM6 wedges, with their groundbreaking Progressive Center of Gravity (CG) design, he ushered in a new era of wedge innovation and performance. Never before had a wedge line offered golfers such precise distance gapping, shot versatility and spin control.
Since that time, Bob and his pioneering R&D team have pushed the limits of that technology, continuing to shape the future of wedge design with the introduction of the new Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled 7 wedges. Available in golf shops worldwide beginning March 9, 2018, new Vokey SM7 wedges provide all golfers the opportunity for a better, more confident short game through unmatched craftsmanship, technology and performance.
The advancements made with SM7 – already the most played wedge model on the PGA Tour, further widen the performance gap between a Vokey and all other wedges.
Improving in all three areas of wedge performance, new SM7 models provide increased shot versatility with expanded fitting options, improved distance and trajectory control and more spin through the following key advancements:
► Finely tuned Progressive Center of Gravity locations improve trajectory and distance control while creating the best-feeling Vokey wedges to date.
- A concept pioneered by Vokey R&D, Progressive Center of Gravity aligns the CG with the impact position of each loft to produce precise distance and trajectory control with exceptional feel. Engineered using cutting-edge CAD technology, Progressive CG is visible technology on the back of the wedge.
- Advanced testing of SM6 models showed an opportunity to enhance the CG locations within SM7. The Vokey R&D team pushed the locations even further – higher on the high lofts and lower on the low lofts – to produce more consistent performance with noticeably better feel at impact.
► 100% inspected Spin Milled grooves cut at even tighter tolerances deliver more spin (up to 100rpm more spin on average).
- Bob and his team identified the opportunity for an additional Spin Milled cutting process for plated wedges (Tour Chrome and Brushed Steel) as compared to the raw offerings (Jet Black and Raw). This new method improves upon Vokey’s industry-leading groove cutting tolerances, resulting in a more precise cut by finish and more spin in the plated wedges.
- A proprietary heat treatment is applied to all Vokey Design SM7 wedges, resulting in longer lasting spin through the life of the wedge.
► Tour-proven sole grinds - The fastest way to a better short game is through a wedge fitting. Developed through his collaboration with the world’s best shot makers, Bob’s six tour-proven sole grinds – F, S, M, K, L and the new D grind – allow golfers of all skill levels to be precisely fit for their swing type, shot making style and course conditions.
- F Grind: Full sole designed primarily for full swings and square face shots. For that reason, F is the only grind available in the 46º-52º models. The 54°/56° F Grind is the most played sand wedge on the PGA Tour.
- S Grind: Design based on feedback from Steve Stricker, the S is best for square faced shots with a touch more versatility than the F Grind. Simple mechanics are best with this wedge.
- M Grind: Voke’s favorite, the M grind is designed for players that like to rotate the club face open and shut to manufacture shots around the green.
- D Grind: The player’s high bounce wedge, the new D Grind offers high measured bounce with the crescent shape of the M Grind for shot making versatility.
- K Grind: The highest bounce wedge in the lineup, the K Grind is the ultimate bunker club and the most forgiving wedge in the lineup for all shots.
- L Grind: The L Grind features a narrow crescent shape allowing maximum green side versatility, but it is the least forgiving wedge in the lineup.
Vokey SM7 offers the game’s most complete selection of lofts, bounces and grinds, with 23 different combinations.
• • •
#1 WEDGE ON TOUR: Just two weeks following their November debut at the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open, Vokey SM7 wedges became the most played wedge model on the PGA Tour, with 123 SM7’s in play at The RSM Classic. That number grew to 183 SM7 wedges in the bags of players at last week’s CareerBuilder Challenge.
To open 2018, Patton Kizzire put a new Vokey SM7 (48.08 F) pitching wedge in play at the Sentry Tournament of Champions. The following week at the Sony Open, Kizzire added two more SM7’s (52.12 F and 56.08 M), which he used in winning the event for his second PGA Tour victory.
“One thing I know from working with tour players the last 20-plus years is that they won’t put a new wedge in play unless it’s better,” said Bob Vokey. “Every time we come out with a new one, we have to prove it. I can’t tell you how many times over the last couple years players asked me and Aaron (Vokey Tour Rep Aaron Dill) how we were going to make something better than SM6. Based on how quickly guys are switching to SM7, we know we’ve done it.”
Titleist Brand Ambassador Jordan Spieth – who put four new models immediately in play (46.10 F, 52.08 F, 56.10 S, 60.04 L) – is one of more than 100 tour players who have made the switch to SM7. That list also includes Jimmy Walker (46.10 F, 54.08 M, 60.04 L), Bill Haas (54.10 S, 60.10 S), Webb Simpson (54.14 F, 60.10 S), Brian Harman (46.10 F, 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 60.04 L) and Andrew 'Beef' Johnston (46.10 F, 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.10 S).
• • •
SM7 FINISHES: New SM7 wedges are available in three finishes (Tour Chrome, Brushed Steel and Jet Black). Tour Chrome retains its popular bright chrome finish. The darker Brushed Steel finish is richer and slightly more polished when compared to the Steel Gray offered in SM6, while maintaining a non-glare finish in the playing position. The raw Jet Black has been enhanced with black paint fill in the logos and graphics, inspired by requests received on Tour by Vokey Tour Rep Aaron Dill.
ADVANCED PERSONALIZATION AND CUSTOM OPTIONS: SM7 wedges can be custom ordered with a wide range of specifications and personalization, including an industry-leading selection of shafts, grips, shaft bands, ferrules, stamping and paint fill. For a complete list of personalization and custom options, visit Vokey.com.
AVAILABILITY: Vokey Design SM7 wedges are available in golf shops beginning March 9.
Visit Vokey.com for full details on the new Vokey Design SM7 wedges.